Halloween is all about having fun, but we encourage everyone to take a moment and plan a safe time.
Here’s a few tips for staying safe:
- Plan your route. Plan your trick or treating route in advance. This way you won’t get lost and your kids won’t get sore feet. If you are thinking of going outside of a familiar neighborhood, you can use a service like Google Maps.
- Be visible. Use reflective tape on your kids’ costumes to ensure motorists can see them, and only cross streets at designated crosswalks. Consider handing out flashlights to your crew, too.
- Be a helicopter parent. Accompany youngsters when trick or treating and keep to well-lit sidewalks. Kids can get really excited when trick or treating so it may be a good idea to remind them of your usual safety rules beforehand (i.e. staying close to you).
- Don’t snack! Save the treats until you get home and can inspect the candy for loose or torn wrappers. Be cautious about keeping goodies that might pose as a choking hazard.
- Be responsible to your trick or treaters. If you’re handing out candy from home, make sure your pumpkins don’t pose a fire hazard to long costumes, and keep your front porch and driveway well lit.
About David Dempsey Insurance Agency
Founded in 1984 by David Dempsey, David Dempsey Insurance Agency serves Rome, GA, Floyd County Georgia, metro Atlanta and surrounding area. Focusing on insurance for families and individuals, we don't provide quotes - we provide auto and home solutions for our fellow community members. We also specialize in insuring retail businesses, restaurants, health clubs and child care / home care centers.