Despite all the attention given to it, 9% of all vehicle fatalities involving teenagers involved texting and driving. Cell phone use in general accounted for 14% of all fatal accidents in 2015. (according to TeenSafe.com)
Here’s a few tips and reminders from Travelers Insurance on teen texting. Make sure to note #5! Setting a good example is a powerful step.
- Accept that your teen driver is more likely to text than an adult, and will do so in more risky situations, according to research from Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.
- Know the facts about the effect of texting. It may only take a driver’s eyes off the road for a few seconds, but that is the equivalent of traveling the length of a football field at 55 MPH without looking at the road, increasing the risk of crashing or nearly crashing 23 times, according to research from Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.
- Adopt a “coaching approach” to share these facts in regular conversations with your teen about their overall driving. Provide clear instruction, expectations and support. And consider putting it all in writing in a simple, parent-teen contract.
- Consider technology that can be installed in your vehicles to help you coach your teen to become a safer driver. The technology can help you learn about your teen’s driving habits. Some provide feedback when a driver brakes harshly – often the mark of a texting driver, suddenly refocusing on the road and spotting the rapidly approaching bumper of the car in front of them.
- And do not text while you are driving.
About David Dempsey Insurance Agency
Founded in 1984 by David Dempsey, David Dempsey Insurance Agency serves Rome, GA, Floyd County Georgia, metro Atlanta and surrounding area. Focusing on insurance for families and individuals, we don't provide quotes - we provide auto and home solutions for our fellow community members. We also specialize in insuring retail businesses, restaurants, health clubs and child care / home care centers.